Sunday, January 24, 2010

Ode to Todd Wilbur :)

Anyone who has heard me speak much about cooking knows of my obsession with Top Secret Recipes.  Since I have included a couple of his recipes in my blog, I feel like I need to give credit where credit is due.  The man who creates them is named Todd Wilbur and his books are called Top Secret Recipes.  I own pretty much EVERY recipe he has ever published and I LOVE every one of my books.  He is amazing!  He basically orders things from restaurants,  then takes it home and analyzes and tests it till he finds a way to make a clone.  He also has many snack food clones, as well as a ton of recipes that he has made lighter versions of.  I frankly think his versions are BETTER than the original.  On top of that, they are very entertaining books, he's a funny guy.  There is tons of interesting information, helpful tips, fun stories, and even some interesting food history.  I would advise all of you to buy his books, I promise you will not be sorry.    A lot of them are sold in paper back, but I don't bother with those :).  My favorites are hard bound;  I think I own every one that is hard bound.  I am going to list the titles of the ones I have.  A couple I had to buy used, because I assume they are out of print and oddly I haven't seen any of these books listed on his site.  But they are worth hunting for because they are much easier to use than the little paper backs.  The paper backs close easily, while all of these will lay open when you are making the recipe and they are not made of that yucky cheap newspaper-like novel paper that I hate.  (I have an odd newspaper aversion.)
So here is the list with some explanations: 
"Top Secret Recipes Super Secret Restaurant Collection"
"Top Secret Recipes More Super Secret Restaurant Recipes"
These two books were put out by QVC, but I got mine for less on Amazon.  The First one is possibly my very favorite.  It is mostly all restaurant recipes( no fast food recipes).  Tons of delicious recipes.  The second one is pretty newly released and I just got it, but am excited to try a new batch of recipes.  They both claim to have lots of new recipes, not in past books.
"Top Secret Recipes Classics"
"Top Secret Recipes More Classics"
These were sold at Costco, but I think I got both of mine from Amazon.  They are divided into five sections: fast food, snacks, restaurants, beverages, and lite.  They take recipes from his first 7 or 8 books, as well as add some new bonus recipes not printed elsewhere.

These last three, I don't know their origin, and I can't remember which I got from Amazon and which from ebay.
"The Best of Top Secret Recipes"  It is set up like the classics with the five sections and says that it includes Todd's favorite recipes from his first seven books plus new recipes.
"A treasury of Top Secret Recipes"  This book is a collection of three of his first books all in one big hardbound book.  The three books included are: Top Secret Recipes, More Top Secret Recipes, and Top Secret Restaurant Recipes.
"Top Secret Recipes Treasury II"  This is just like the first treasury.  Three of his books all combined into one big book.  This is one of my favorites because it includes tons of his lighter recipes.  The three books included are: Top Secret Recipes Lite, Low Fat Top Secret Recipes and Top Secret Recipes: Soda's Smoothies, Spirits, and Shakes

The reason I gave you the titles is because they are very similar to his other books sometimes,  and its easier to find them with the exact title.  Make sure they are hard cover books :).  If anyone wants a list of the recipes let me know or come on over and look at mine to decide which you would want!  I could also list the books in a prioritized list based on which ones I use the most if you want :).

Just so you know, if you buy ALL of these books there will be a lot of recipes that are repeated in different ones since many of the collections come from the same books, but there are also tons of recipes that are only listed in one.  I was not sorry I bought all of them, because they each have recipes that no other books have that I have used.  (I spent lots of time analyzing them when I first got them to make sure I wanted to keep all of them.)  LOVE THESE BOOKS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment